Saturday, June 18, 2016

Wisconsin Nursing Assistant Class

Just last week I completed the six week Wisconsin Nursing Assistant (NA) Class offered through Western Technical College. It was 4:00pm - 10:00pm and covered a variety of skills that I will need to enter Viterbo's Nursing Sequence (which I was accepted into on my last day of NA class!) as well as the skills I will need to work in a hospital or nursing home. We spent the first three weeks in class learning skills, infection control, and many other things related to nursing. The last roughly three weeks were spent in a nursing home setting where we put our skills to the test. In order to pass the class we had to pass five written exams, complete workbook pages for each chapter, and test out of a large list of skills in class then later at the nursing home.


The first night of clinical was very intimidating, but I really enjoyed it. By the last night, I was wishing that I could do it all over again and start from the top. Helping others is one of my favorite things to do, and at the nursing home that is exactly what I got to do. I got to spend that extra time with the residents that many of them appreciated. I worked with some residents that were a breeze, and others that I had to channel my patience, but at the end of the day I knew that I had made a difference in all of their lives. This is the profession that I cannot wait to join. I am here to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment